Search Rumbly in Tumbly

Friday, April 6, 2012

Street Food at Lane 737 [內湖737巷]

Visit: March 29, 2012
Address: 台北市內湖區內湖路一段737巷

So my mom and I caught wind of a yummy pig blood cake stall in Neihu, and being the fatty I am, I convinced my parents to take me there. Just a word of warning, I made up the English names myself.

Pig Blood Cake [豬血糕]
Pig Blood Cake Stall in Lane 737
When we finally found the stall, there was already a large mob in front of it, not lining up for the pig blood cake itself, but lining up for a numbered ticket for the pig blood cake. As we were standing in the crowd, a man suddenly hands us a ticket and said that he no longer wants to wait even though his number was only 10 after the current one. Well, I can't believe our luck because that stranger saved us about half an hour of waiting. Thank you mysterious stranger.

Pig Blood Cake
 Ta da! The long awaited pig blood cake. The cake itself was a courser than usual which I suspect is because they probably made the cake themselves. However, I didn't really think that the pig blood cake tasted any better than the others at nightmarkets.

Grilled Fried Chicken [碳烤香雞排]
Grilled Fried Chicken Stall
 The stall was next to the pig blood cake stall, and is apparently one of the more well-known ones.

Grilled Fried Chicken
Although I didn't come all the way to Neihu for the chicken, I was much more impressed with the chicken than the pig blood cake. The chicken was crazily tender and by grilling it after frying, it was also tastier than just simply fried chicken.


Egg Cake [雞蛋仔]
Egg Cake Stall
 The egg cake is arguably my favorite Chinese street food, so it's only understandable that I was immediately drawn to the stall.
Making the egg cake...
Instead of the traditional Taiwanese cakes where the egg cakes are actually egg shaped, these somewhat resembled waffles.

Egg Cake
After the cake was taken out of the mold, it was then folded while it was still warm so that it can be easily folded into a bag. The egg cake was SO GOOD! It's the best I've ever had. The outside was really crispy while the inside was airy and still moist and warm. It enhanced everything I loved about traditional egg cakes.

I would definitely visit Lane 737 at NeiHu again. Although this wasn't exactly a nightmarket, there was a huge selection of good food. While I was there, I also had the pleasure of tasting and falling in love with pig liver in sesame oil soup (麻油豬肝) both of which I usually dislike. Lane 737 is a must visit in my book of food. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment