Search Rumbly in Tumbly

Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Humble House Restaurant [寒舍食譜]

Visit: April 7, 2012
Address: 台北市信義區松仁路38號2F (Le Meridien)
Number: (02) 2321-1818
Website: http://www.lemeridien-taipei.com/#/cuisine/1

YAY, finally trying the highly regarded My Humble House at Le Merdien! When I walked into the restaurant, I was so impressed by the atmosphere of the restaurant. Although the interiors were really nice and classy, the restaurant did not have that high-end oppressive atmosphere, but instead had a really friendly but classy surrounding.

Crispy Barbecued Pork (脆皮叉燒) $480 NT 
Crispy Barbecued Pork
 The crispy barbecued pork wasn't the traditional kind, but it was completely cooked to ultimate soft and tenderness. When you place the pork in your mouth, the meat practically melts on your tongue. This was definitely the best barbecued pork I've had; however I really wished that the outside was crispier and more caramelized. I know it sounds kind of weird, but the outside kind of reminds me of a creme brulee.

Pan-fried Diced Chicken with Kailan, Black Pepper and Green Onion (碧綠川椒雞) $460 NT
Pan-fried Diced Chicken with Kailan, Black Pepper and Green Onions
 Out of all the dishes, this was the most mediocre dish. The chicken wasn't particularly good and just very normal tasting. Although the chicken was very tender, the black pepper sauce was a little too food court tasting.

Black and White Wood Ear Fungus with Aged Vinegar (老陳醋黑白木耳) $150 NT
Black and White Wood Ear Fungus with Aged Vinegar
I know that this was supposed to be a Chinese dish, but it actually tasted Western. Instead of the traditional rice vinegar, it tasted more like balsamic vinegar - which I enjoyed (: I also liked how the restaurant didn't use a drop of oil... or more specifically sesame oil, so it was a lot more refreshing.

Chicken Flat Rice Roll (雞肉腸粉) $250 NT
Chicken Flat Rice Roll
I've never actually had anything other than shrimp or pork inside the rice roll, so imagine my delight when I found two new things in my rice roll - Chinese fried dough and chicken. The crispiness of the fried dough really added a crunchy delight to the usually soft and floppy roll. 


Steamed Taro Cakes (香蒸素芋糕) $150 NT
Steamed Taro Cakes
The taro cakes at My Humble House is very unconventional. I really liked how they kept the actual form of the taro and also arranged it in such a cute fashion; however the taro cake was a little too dry and bland for my liking.

Honey Glazed Barbecued Pork Puff Pastries (蜜汁叉燒酥) $150 NT
Honey Glazed Barbecued Pork Puff Pastries
 I love love love barbecued pork puff pastries, and these did not disappoint.

Herb and Mushroom Dumplings (香草素菌蒸粉粿) $150 NT
Herb and Mushroom Dumplings
 When the dish was served, I was immediately attracted to the dumplings' interesting appearance. The outside wasn't the usual dumpling skin but resembled that of a 水晶餃. However, I ended up only having a bite of the dumplings because THEY WERE FILLED WITH CILANTRO! I hate cilantro...but that's just me.

Minced Salty Fish and Chicken Fried Rice (鹹魚雞粒炒飯)

Minced Salty Fish and Chicken Fried Rice
This dish wasn't on the menu, but we were craving some fried rice without the very expensive scallops in there, and the chef was kind enough to make this for us instead. The fried rice was a little bland but wasn't too bad. The best minced salty fish and chicken fried rice I've ever had is at the Chinese restaurant up on the Landis Resort on Yang Ming Shan.

Overall, I would definitely recommend My Humble House. Although you'd expect a fusion sort of Chinese from the nice atmosphere, I thought that the food was actually pretty authentic. The service was also very quick with attentive waiters and waitresses. For such a nice restaurant, the price was reasonable with yummy food. (:


No comments:

Post a Comment