Search Rumbly in Tumbly

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ton 28 [同28]

Visit: Feb. 26, 2012
Address: 台北市信義區松仁路28號 6F (Bellavita)
Number: (02)2722-2888
Website: http://www.bellavita.com.tw/eng/store.php?d=35

I wasn't really in the mood for a set on a Sunday afternoon, so instead of getting a set like the rest of my parents, I just ordered a few of the dishes I was in the mood in.

Fried Burdock (Complimentary)
Fried Burdock
 There was actually more than what's in the picture because I couldn't stop the rest of my family from snitching a few pieces before I could whip out my camera fast enough. The fried burdock was lightly salted and crispy, but without being greasy. It was a really nice way to start the meal.

Tempura (Complimentary)
Tempura
 I have no idea what the exact name of this dish was, but it was definitely some sort of tempura. Although the tempura was good, the sauce was a little too salty. I also felt like they should have served the tempura and the sauce separately so it wouldn't be as soggy when I finally got around to enjoying it.

Salad ($880 NT Set)
Salad
 Although I didn't have the chance to sample the salad, my parents really liked the piece of cheese and the salad seemed to be okay. The only thing I was able to try was the scallop in the salad. The scallop was way too overcooked and was chewy and rubbery.


Assorted Sashimi ($880 NT Set)
Assorted Sashimi
The sashimi was pretty fresh except for a few pieces with tendons in it. There was this one piece wrapped with onions inside, mmm... it was good.

Steak with Black Pepper Sauce ($880 NT Set)
Steak with Black Pepper Sauce
 I tried some of the steak and was so disappointed. The steak was overdone and I felt like I was chewing on cheap pepper sauce soaked rubber. I know it's a bit harsh, but I felt like I might as well have been in a food court, with the steak served on the teppanyaki plates. I was half expecting a scoop of rice and an egg served on the side.

Broiled Fish ($880 NT Set)
Broiled Fish
 As a replacement for the steak that my mom and grandma switched out, they served the broiled fish. I felt like the fish was a little dry, but maybe I'm overthinking it.
 
Salmon Rice ($880 NT Set)
Salmon Rice
 The rice didn't have a lot of flavor and I wished that there were a lot more salmon pieces so I didn't feel like I was just eating soggy overcooked rice.

Pickled Vegetables ($880 NT Set)
Pickled Vegetables
 Personally, I like pickled radish or pickled vegetables in that matter. But the pickled cabbage was way too salty :/

Miso Soup ($880 NT Set)
Miso Soup
 The miso soup was so salty!!! That's all I remember though.

Broiled Buri Chin (鰤魚下巴) $460 NT
Broiled Buri Chin
 I was craving some fatty fish with crispy skin, so I decided to get the broiled buri chin. The chin was pretty good, but my cravings were definitely not satisfied because the fish didn't have as much oil content as usual. There was more meat than normal chin portions though. Sometimes, I could taste the salt patches, but other than that, I really liked the fish. The broiled fish tasted so good with lime slices, so remember to ask for more!


Assorted Sashimi (季節性盛合刺身) $680 NT
Assorted Sashimi
 This is what the a la carte sashimi looks like. There were around 9 pieces if I remember correctly.


Crispy Tofu (脆皮豆腐) $180 NT
Crispy Tofu
 There were actually six pieces in the serving, but I just couldn't get my camera out fast enough before my family started eating. Although the dish didn't taste Japanese at all, it was certainly fried to awesomeness. The outside was just so crisp and and the tofu was really light. Although the sauce isn't necessary, the sauce itself was really good too.

Broiled Threadfin Fish (午仔魚) $1000 NT 
Broiled Threadfin Fish
 The fish was mediocre and although it wasn't bad, I don't think it's worth the price at all. The buri chin was definitely better.

Fruits & Wood Ear Soup (Complimentary)
Fruits & Wood Ear Soup
 Seeing that I finished three bowls of the wood ear soup, it's obvious that I really liked it (: In my defense though, the bowl was only one third filled. The soup wasn't too sweet and the wood ear was cooked just right.

When I made reservations at Ton 28, I was expecting more of a fine dining experience with really good food. The food wasn't bad, but it was just a little bit slightly overpriced for me to fully be able to enjoy mediocre food (except for the crispy tofu). At a mall like Bellavita, I was really disappointed in the service. The waitress and waiters though were somewhat attentive, didn't seem very professional or friendly. I guess if you wanted to try Ton 28, go for it, but if not, there are many more nice Japanese restaurants around Taipei.

No comments:

Post a Comment