Search Rumbly in Tumbly

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dozo Izakaya Dining Bar

Visit: Feb. 11, 2012
Address: 台北市大安區光復南路102號1F
Number: (02) 2778-1135
Website: http://www.dozo.com.tw

The last time I've been to Dozo was quite a while ago, so when my friend suggested it for some fusion Japanese, I was extremely excited to revisit the awesome experiences I've had there.

Salmon Coated with Caramel Sushi (焦糖鮭魚箱壽司) $380 NT
Salmon Coated with Caramel Sushi http://pic.pimg.tw/joycewu1120/1314468098-9cd53a5a52c3eeb0d1133a16cd77c159_n.jpg
I was so busy talking, that I forgot to take a picture of this dish, so just bear with me. I have to say, out of all the fusion salmon sushi's I've had, the Salmon Coated with Caramel Sushi was not the greatest. The yellow mayo on top though is supposed to give the sushi the caramel flavor, only added to the greasiness of the sushi without the caramel upside. The salmon though was cooked to perfection: the balance between cooked and raw. The salad on the side was also really nice since its dressing is replaced by the salmon roe.

Charcoal Grilled Beef with Garlic Sauce (蒜味炭燒生牛肉) $360 NT
Charcoal Grilled Beef with Garlic Sauce
I apologize for the missing corners of the picture...we just couldn't wait to get our hands on the beef. This is definitely a must order for anyone out there! The beef is grilled to about medium rare, which gives it a chewy texture. It's also seasoned so that the final product has all the properties of awesomeness: a bit of sweet, salty, peppery and garlicky. The mayo on top also adds to the overall texture of the beef so that it slides its way down your throat, and the crispy slices of garlic are just yummy!

Deep Fried Pork Chop Baked with Cheese (披薩豬排 碳香味)
Deep Fried Pork Chop Baked with Cheese
 Hum, I must say that the pork chops were just a bit normal. I guess the meat was tender enough, but it just tasted like any other cheap fried pork chop dish. The cheese on top though definitely made the dish stand out a bit more from the normal fried pork chops. Remember to eat it while it's still hot, or else it actually tastes a bit disgusting.


Okonamiyaki/Japanese Pancake (DOZO 特製大阪燒) $180 NT
Okonamiyaki/Japanese Pancake
This is actually quite a fancy name for a standard dish. In reality, this is just stir fried udon noodles. It's really interesting when the dish was first served in the hot plate because you get to see the dried fish flakes on top just wiggling around from the rising steam. Out of the crab meat, squid and cabbage in the noodles, my favorite part was the crab meats. It was just simply delicious. Other than that though, the dish was a little too oily for my liking.

After reading this review, you might think that this time's visit was disappointing, but honestly I would still definitely go there again. Out of all the times I've been there, some dishes might have been mediocre, but nothing has ever screamed nasty or disgusting. I think I should have done a better job with ordering this time, but I really did not want to always stick with what I always ordered (even though the mochi and grilled beef are amazing).  With the darkened surroundings, the atmosphere is awesome as you take a bite of food, take a sip of Sake while watching the live drum and flute performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment