Search Rumbly in Tumbly

Friday, June 29, 2012

Shanghai Shanghai Restaurant [紅豆食府]

Visit: May 20, 2012
Address: 台北市士林區中山北路六段77號 8F (Sogo)
Number: (02) 2833-2208
Website: www.shanghaishanghai.com.tw/

As a little celebration since my cousin just came back from college in the States, we decided that it was only appropriate to dine at a Chinese restaurant. Since my grandma for some reason wanted to stay in Tien Mu, we ended up at Shanghai Shanghai - a good but not amazing, Chinese restaurant.

Menu

Deep-fried Diced Chicken with Dried Hot Pepper (香辣子雞) 360 NT
Deep-fried Diced Chicken with Dried Hot Pepper
This reminded me so much of the Kung-Pao style chicken.

Stinky Tofu Kung-Pao Style (宮保臭豆腐) 250 NT
Stinky Tofu Kung-Pao Style
I think I would've much liked the tofu to be crispier, but the stinky tofu kung-pao style is still a pretty solid dish. However, if you're really into kung-pao tofu, The Peak still has the best in my opinion.

Dry-fried Szechuan-style String Beans with Minced Pork (乾扁四季豆) 280 NT
Dry-fried Szechuan-style String Beans with Minced Pork
For some odd reason, a lot of people avoid the minced pork when they're eating this dish... but isn't the minced pork what makes this dish sing? Shanghai Shanghai does a pretty good job with the dish.

Eel Stir-fried with Leek Sprouts (韭黃鱔魚) 360 NT
Eel Stir-fried with Leek Sprouts
I didn't really have much of this because for some reason, my mom hates it when I have eel, but mostly because they mixed the corriander into the dish... disgusting. The eel was decent, but I think I've had better.

Stinky Tofu Braised in Clay Pot (砂鍋臭豆腐) 250 NT
Stinky Tofu Braised in Clay Pot
I guess you're thinking that I have a crazy family, so much stinky tofu in one day. The stinky tofu in the braised clay pot wasn't as great as I would've liked it to be.

 Braised Pork Belly in Brown Sauce - 3 Pieces (東坡肉 - 3塊) 435 NT
Braised Pork Belly in Brown Sauce




Even though I've lived in Taiwan all my life, I think the number of times I've had Dong Puo Pork Belly (Braised pork belly in brown sauce) is actually limited. So when they served this dish, I found it to be a little too sweet for my liking even though the meat itself was amazing. But don't count on me about the flavoring, I'm no expert when it comes to this dish.


Sea Cucumber Braised with Scallions (蔥燒烏蔘 - 半條) 490 NT
Sea Cucumber Braised with Scallions
The scallions are currently hidden, but man I loved the scallions in the sauce. My mom always says I'm weird for loving scallions so much, but hey, they're just amazing. I didn't fancy the sea cucumber much though. The quality didn't taste that great, and instead of a soft texture., the sea cucumber was really rubbery and felt uncooked.

Steamed Vegetable Dumplings (花素蒸餃) 180 NT
Steamed Vegetable Dumplings

I don't think that there was anything special about the vegetable dumplings.
Chilled Vegetable Fern Salad (涼拌過貓) 200 NT
Chilled Vegetable Fern Salad

Tree fern has a very interesting texture that I like. The dish at Shanghai Shanghai was serves chilled and in my opinion, was just okay.
Cured Jelly Pork (冰宮肴肉) 280 NT
Cured Jelly Pork

I live pork jelly :) This is personal bias, but I wish that there was more jelly instead of the pork strips.
Sauteed Tofu Sheets with Preserved Mustard Greens (雪菜百頁) 240 NT
Sauteed Tofu Sheets with Preserved Mustard Greens

I wasn't a huge fan of this even though my mom seems to love it. If I remeber correctly, Fung's makes this better.

Shanghai Shanghai was exactly as I expected. I would recommend this as just a good Chinese restaurant, but don't expect to be wow-ed. Now that I think about it, it's a pretty reliable chain with clean restaurants to take any friends visiting Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment